Arts Alive is seeking families and artists of all kinds to participate in our upcoming show, Mi Familia.
The purpose of Mi Familia is to create a community ofrenda. We believe ofrendas are ephemeral art and want to develop a sense of unity by inviting all community members to contribute for a beautiful culmination of photos, artwork, stories, and anything else relevant that can be shared to honor deceased loved ones. Each family, or individual, is invited to share about their special person(s); who they are, what they love and miss about them, and any stories and memories they would like to share, keepsakes, art, photos… the possibilities are endless. We look forward to your ideas.
What is an ofrenda? Ofrendas are altars with offerings for the loved ones that are being remembered. The four elements of Water, Earth, Fire, and Wind are represented with different offerings throughout the ofrenda.
Send inquiries, interest and submissions to: email@example.com
Or, complete the super easy Google form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSedbhmExnre9UN3WfxTIZoZ8kA4Ogsuwf1NT8OQUr_yqIMMfQ/viewform?usp=pp_url
Curators: Patti Herbst and Chantene Zichterman
All media welcome but must be specific to Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).
You submission can include:
- An ofrenda created by individuals or families celebrating their loved ones who have passed on.
- A portrait of any media of a loved one or anything relevant to Dia de los Muertos.
- Contributions of creating sugar skulls, papel picado (designs cut in tissue paper), skeletons, and paper flowers (orange, yellow, or red).
- Submissions due: September 16, 2022
- Delivery and set up of work: Work must be delivered and or set up by October 3, 2022. Please coordinate with the curators for a reasonable time to come in and set up your altar.
- Opening reception: Friday, October 7th, 2022, 7-9 PM
- Show Closes: November 12, 2022
- Pickup personal items: After closing day during regular business hours.
- All 2-D framed work must be wired. Gallery wrapped canvases do not need framing.
- Families making an individual ofrenda are asked to bring their own small table.
- An opening reception will be held on Friday, October 7th, 7-9 PM, and everyone in the community is welcome to attend.